U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 108 / WAL 530


YEAR BUILT: 1923

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

CONTRACT PRICE: $200,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 106,107,109,110,111

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, steel pilot house and deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galleries, smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 132'4" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 14'7"; TONNAGE: 775 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 2 oil fired Scotch marine boilers, 120 psi; 4 bladed propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle, submarine bell, hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
Delivered Sep 17, 1923-
Equipped with~ radio and radiobeacon when built-
1935: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
1959: Steam power plant removed; repowered with GM 268A diesel 500HP, 4' 9" dia propeller; max speed listed as 6 knots-
1964: USCG lists vessel with duplex 375mm lens lantern on foremast, 15,000cp each lamp; F2T air diaphone; CR-103 radar, otherwise as shown above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGW (1940-1964)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1923: Relief (3d District)
1924-1942: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1970: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)

(1942-1945: During WWII, withdrawn from Five Fathom and stationed at Edgemoor Depot (DE); used as examination vessel; armed with one 6-pounder)


HISTORICAL NOTES:
1929 Jun 8, crew rescued USCG warrant officer, pilot of amphibian aircraft which made forced landing near lightship; plane was brought alongside and pumped out; later picked up and taken ashore by tender-
1930 Jun, radiobeacon of Five Fathom LV 108 sequenced with Overfalls and Winter Quarter

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1970; AGE: 47

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Aug 31, 1970; donated Dec 29, 1971 (recipient not shown). Said to have been scrapped at Norfolk (VA), 1975


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 108 / WAL 530

?-1936: Theodore P Maffia, Master

1955-1956: BMC Hall, OIC; BM1 Joe Tamalonis, XO

1964: WO David L Trax, OIC
1965-66: WO Roy Jernigan
1966-67: WO Rossi
1967-68: WO William Lett
1968-69: WO Gail Daugherty


PHOTOGRAPHS:

Click here to view a photo of LV-108, circa 1945.

Click here to view a photo of the spar deck of LV-106 or one of her sister lightships.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 12/19/2012