Builder: William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Beam: 25' 5"
Displacement: 295 tons
Disposition: Sold, 1911
Machinery: Condensing beam steam engine, IHP 300; side paddle wheel propulsion
The Verbena was one of two tenders of the Verbena class, the other being the tender Alanthus. Both entered service in 1870. They were wooden hulled, steam powered, side paddle wheelers of 295 tons.
The Verbena was assigned to the Second Lighthouse District as an "Inspection Tender" at New Bedford, Massachusetts and tended aids to navigation in Vineyard Sound and Buzzard's Bay. She replaced the tender Cactus. The Verbena was overhauled and a new boiler was installed in 1883. She was sold in 1911.
Douglas Peterson. U.S. Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840 - 1939. Annapolis, Maryland: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press, 1982.