The Vema was the 770-ton, 182-foot, steel-hulled, three-masted yacht Hussar, launched in 1923, that was acquired by the Maritime Service for use as a training ship. She was commissioned into the Coast Guard on 26 July 1941 and was utilized for training duty at New York, New York. She was decommissioned and returned to the Maritime Administration on 31 August 1942.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Washington, DC: USGPO.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.