Uno (Juniper, Peter G. Washington),
Built: Camden, NJ
Machinery: 24" diameter x 20'' stroke, 1 screw, 10 kts
Length: 79' 6"
Beam: 18' 4"
Displacement: 116 tons
Keel Laid: Unknown
Obtained: Accepted on 20 March 1865
Decommissioned: 3 October 1883
Armament: 1 20-pdr. rifle
The first Juniper was purchased at New York from Solomon Thomas 7 June 1864; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 11 July 1864.
Juniper sailed for Washington via Hampton Roads arriving at the Washington Navy Yard 17 July 1864. Two days later she was attached to the Potomac Flotilla where she served during the remainder of the war performing varied duties as a tug, dispatch vessel, and patrol ship. She sailed from the lower Potomac 5 May 1865 for the Washington Navy Yard, where she decommissioned 26 May. Juniper was sold to the Treasury Department.
Her name was changed to Uno on 27 July 1865. The cutter was stationed at New York and on 25 November 1873 the name was changed to Peter G. Washington. The cutter returned to New York, remaining on harbor duty until sent to Philadelphia in 1893.
She was sold in Baltimore on 2 March 1906 for $405.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Vessels.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).