Tusitala, 1940

WIX; ex-Sophie; ex-Sierra Lucena; ex-Inverglas 


A Samoan word meaning "teller of tales."  Also a pseudonym used by Robert Lewis Stevenson.


From 14 July 1938 until 31 August 1942 the Coast Guard was responsible for training merchant marine personnel.  Ships that were serving at federal and various state merchant marine academies, as well as vessels newly acquired by the Maritime service for training duties, were commissioned in the Coast Guard.  The Maritime Service took over all training functions from the Coast Guard after 31 August 1942 and all of these ships were decommissioned and transferred to Maritime Service control and operation.

History:

The Tusitala was a 261-foot, square-rigged ship constructed of iron in 1883 and was the last ship built by the famous R. Steel yard in Greenock, Scotland.  She was first used in the wool trade between Australia and England.  She was acquired by the Maritime Service for use as a training vessel in 1940.

When all merchant marine training responsibilities were assigned to the Maritime Service, the Tusitala was decommissioned on 31 August 1942 and returned to the Maritime Service. 


Sources:

Cutter History File.  USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012