Reliance, 1867


The act of relying: one that can be depended on.


Builder: Fardy, Baltimore, Maryland

Length: 110'

Beam: 24' 8-1/2"

Draft: 11'

Displacement: 227 tons

Cost: $29,000

Commissioned: 3 June 1867

Decommissioned: 1874

Disposition: Sold

Rig: Topsail schoner

Machinery: N/A

Performance & Endurance:

        Max: 
        Cruising: 

Complement: 

Armament: 


History:

The Reliance was one of two 110-foot topsail schooners, the other being Vigilant, were the last strictly sail-powered cutters acquired by the Service.  Both were built by the Fardy Brothers of Baltimore, Maryland at a cost of $29,000 each.  The Reliance was accepted for service on 3 June 1867 and was stationed at San Francisco, California.  She made six cruises to Alaskan waters during her service life.

She was sold on 5 January 1875.


Sources:

Donald Canney.  U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.

U.S. Coast Guard.  Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933.  Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012