Builder: W. H. Hathorn, Williamsburg, New York
Displacement: 120 tons
Performance & Endurance:
Armament: 1 gun
The Racer was one of two 120-ton 85-foot schooners built for the Service by W. H. Hathorn of Williamsburg, New York, the other being the Petrel. They were among the last strictly sail-powered cutters built for the Service.
The Racer was accepted for service and was ordered to Charleston on 3 June 1867 for duty. She sailed for that port on 6 June 1867 under the command of Revenue Captain John G. Baker.
She was sold on 30 July 1873.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).