A. Dix (1798-1879): Dix was appointed to be the 24th Secretary of the
Treasury and served in that capacity from January 15, 1861 until March 6,
1861. Dix was a former postmaster and Senator from New York, and was
reputed to be "a cultivated writer, a fluent vigorous speaker, a man of
great courage, prompt decision and proved executive ability."
Entering office during a financial panic, he quickly obtained the much needed loans from banks and the American people that his predecessor had failed to secure. He won further confidence in the North by dispatching a message to a Treasury customs official in New Orleans to take possession of a Treasury Department revenue cutter there. "If anyone attempts to haul down the American flag," he ordered, "shoot him on the spot." Dix was in office less than three months, resigning at the end of Buchanan's presidency. Buchanan's successor, President Abraham Lincoln, rewarded his performance as Secretary of the Treasury with the commission of Major General in charge of Alexandria and Arlington, Virginia during the Civil War.
CLASS: Active Class Patrol Boat
BUILDER: American Brown Boveri Electric Corp., Camden, NJ
COMMISSIONED: 5 March 1927
LAUNCHED: 27 January 1927
DECOMMISSIONED: 13 January 1948 and sold 16 June 1948
DISPLACEMENT: 232 tons
PROPULSION: 2 x 6-cylinder, 300 hp engines
LENGTH: 125 feet
BEAM: 23 feet, 6 inches
DRAFT: 7 feet, 6 inches
COMPLEMENT: 3 officers, 17 men
ARMAMENT: 1 3"/27 (1927); in WWII two dc racks were added
This class of vessels was one of the most useful and long- lasting in Coast Guard service with 16 cutters still in use in the 1960ís. The last to be decommissioned from active service was the Morris in 1970; the last in actual service was the Cuyahoga, which sank after an accidental collision in 1978. They were designed for trailing the "mother ships" along the outer line of patrol during Prohibition. They were constructed at a cost of $63,173 each. They gained a reputation for durability that was only enhanced by their re-engining in the late 1930ís; their original 6-cylinder diesels were replaced by significantly more powerful 8-cylinder units that used the original engine beds and gave the vessels 3 additional knots. All served in World War II, but two, the Jackson and Bedloe, were lost in a storm in 1944. Ten were refitted as buoy tenders during the war and reverted to patrol work afterward.
First stationed at Boston, MA, until sent to New London, CT, in 1955, she was at Panama City, FL (1936-37) and Erie, PA (1940). She was assigned to CARIBSEAFRON during World War II and home ported at Willemstad, Curacao, equipped for minesweeping. In 1945 she was transferred to Provincetown, MA.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.