William H. Crawford (1772-1834) was appointed in 1816 as Secretary of the Treasury by President James Madison and he continued under President James Monroe through 1825.
Builder: Webb and Allen, New York
Commissioned: January 1830
Decommissioned: sold 27 July 1835
Length: 73' 4"
Navigation Draft: 9' 7" (maximum)
Beam: 20' 6"
Displacement: 112 tons
Propulsion: topsail schooner
Maximum Speed: NA
Armament: Much variation, typical was four 6-9 pdrs.
The Crawford was one of the 13 cutters of the Morris-Taney Class. These cutters were the backbone of the Service for more than a decade. Samuel Humphreys designed these cutters for roles as diverse as fighting pirates, privateers, combating smugglers and operating with naval forces. He designed the vessels on a naval schooner concept. They had Baltimore Clipper lines. The vessels built by Webb and Allen, designed by Isaac Webb, resembled Humphreys' but had one less port.
The Crawford initially worked for the Collector of Customs in Norfolk, Virginia. In June 1831 she sailed for duty at Savannah, Georgia, arriving on 1 July. The Government sold her in 1835 for $2,300. Her sister cutter, first named as Jefferson (commissioned in 1833), was renamed Crawford in 1839.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).