Built: Dialogue and Wood, Philadelphia, PA
Machinery: 22" diameter x 20" stroke
Displacement: 250 tons
Commissioned : 4 November 1871
Decommissioned: 1 September 1899
Disposition: Sold, 1924
Complement: 7 officers, 33 enlisted
Armament: 3 guns
Colfax, an iron-framed side-wheel steamer, cost the Revenue Service $60,500. She was first stationed at Baltimore, MD. Her cruising grounds were then extended to Savannah, GA. She underwent major repairs at Wilmington, DE in 1878 and was subsequently assigned to Wilmington,. NC. She moved to Charleston, SC in 1896. She served as a VIP barge for President McKinley off Brunswick, GA in 1899 and became a station ship at Baltimore after her decommissioning.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1995.