Clover, 1912 

ex-Two Myrtles


A plant of the genus Trifolium, bearing compound leaves with three leaflets and tight heads of small flowers.


Builder: Burger & Burger, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

Length: 88'

Beam: 22' 10"

Draft: 7' 1"

Displacement: 205 tons

Cost: $5,700

Commissioned: 1908

Decommissioned: 1935

Disposition: Sold, 25 May 1935

Machinery: Steam engine; coal-fired boiler; 100 BHP; single propeller

Performance & Endurance:

        Max: 
        Cruising: 

Deck Gear: 

Complement: 7

Armament: None


Tender History:

The United States Tender Clover, the third Lighthouse Service vessel to bear this name, began life as a private steamer named the Two Myrtles after the owner's wife and daughter.  She was purchased by the Lighthouse Service in 1908 and retained her name.

She was originally assigned to the 11th Lighthouse District and was based at Milwaukee where she served as an engineering tender.  She was laid up in 1911 and was rebuilt, with new boilers added, and was renamed Clover in 1912.  She was then assigned to Detroit and was eventually transferred to Sault Ste. Marie, where she serviced aids to navigation on the St. Mary's River.

In 1932 she was rebuilt once again and was lengthened to 93-feet.  She was sold in 1935.


Sources:

Douglas Peterson.  United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012