A plant of the genus Trifolium, bearing compound leaves with three leaflets and tight heads of small flowers.
Builder: William McKie, East Boston, Massachusetts
Length: 126' 4"
Displacement: 440 tons
Commissioned: September 1889
Decommissioned: 30 January 1900
Disposition: Sold, 1900
Machinery: None, sail-power only
Performance & Endurance:
Deck Gear: Steam-powered winch, wood derrick
The United States Tender Clover, the first with this name, was a two-masted schooner with a hull of white oak and yellow pine planking. She was assigned to the 7th Lighthouse District and was based out of New Orleans. She was furnished with a small launch named Bluebell.
She was transferred to the 4th Lighthouse District in December of 1891. She was loaned to the Coast Survey on 20 February 1894 and was returned on 16 October 1894. She was stripped and sold in 1900.
She was the last sail-powered tender built for the Lighthouse Service.
Douglas Peterson. United States Lighthouse Service Tenders, 1840-1939. Annapolis: Eastwind Publishing, 2000.