Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Clematis, 1944

WAGL-286


A plant or vine of the genus Clematis of eastern Asia and North America, bearing white or variously colored flowers and plume-like seeds.


Builder: Peterson & Haecker, Limited, Blair, Nebraska

Length: 73' 6"

Beam: 18' 10"

Draft: 3' 6"

Displacement: 80 tons

Cost: $185,450

Commissioned: 28 July 1944

Decommissioned: 17 October 1976

Disposition: Transferred to the TVA, February 1977

Machinery:  2 Buda diesel engines; 150 BHP; twin propellers

Performance & Endurance:

        Max: 9.6 knots
        Cruising: 6.4 knots; 3,300 mile range

Complement: 8

Deck Gear: 1.5 ton capacity boom; electric hoist

Armament: None (small arms?)

Electronics: None (1944)


History:

Clematis was one of two 73-foot inland buoy tenders built by Peterson & Haecker, Limited, of Blair, Nebraska, the other being Shadbush.  They were designed by the Coast Guard with detail drawings by A. M. Deering of Chicago.  In the mid-1960s, they had their pilothouses raised four feet off the buoy deck and the space left underneath was then used for storage.

Clematis was assigned to the 8th Naval District and was based at Galveston, Texas, where she serviced aids to navigation and other duties.  On 27 February 1952 she marked the wreck of the tug Ahepa and tanker Dubelly in Texas City Channel.  On 15 April 1958 she collided with tug Crochet No. 2 in the Houston Ship Channel.

From 23 August 1966 until her decommissioning she was based out of Corpus Christi, Texas.


Photograph:

A photo of the tender Clematis

"U.S. Coast Guard Cutter "CLEMATIS" taken at Blair, Nebraska, 18 July, 1944."; photographer unknown.


Sources:

Cutter History File.  USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.


Last Modified 10/28/2014