City of Chattanooga, 1942
The 382-foot, 5,861-ton SS City of Chattanooga, originally built by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company in Newport News, Virginia in 1923, was a coastal passenger and cargo ship. She was acquired by the Maritime Commission from the Ocean Steamship Company taken into Coast Guard service on 1 June 1942 for use as training ship.
When the Coast Guard gave up its responsibility for merchant marine training, the City of Chattanooga was decommissioned 31 August 1942 and returned to the Maritime Commission.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.