Catenary: the sag in a line strung between two points, such as the anchor line.
Builder: Gibbs Corporation, Jacksonville, Florida
Length: 64' 11"
Beam: 19' 1"
Displacement: 74 tons
Commissioned: April 1962
Decommissioned: 1 May 1995
Machinery: 1 diesel engine; 400 BHP; single propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 10.6 knots; 1,130 mile range
Cruising: 7.0 knots; 3,690 mile range
Electronics: SPN-11 detection radar
The steel-hulled harbor tug Catenary entered service on in April, 1962 and was one of 15 65-foot harbor tugs built to replace the wooden-hulled 64-foot harbor tugs that had been built in the 1940s. These new tugs remained unnamed until the mid-1960s.
Catenary was first stationed out of Gloucester City, New Jersey and was used for law enforcement and search and rescue duties. She remained there until June of 1988 when she was transferred to Philadelphia, PA.
She was decommissioned on 1 May 1995.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946 - 1990. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.