Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

CARTIGAN, 1927

 

WSC / WMEC-132


CLASS: Active Class Patrol Boat

BUILDER: American Brown Boveri Electric Corp., Camden, NJ

COST: $90,000

COMMISSIONED: 3 March 1927

LAUNCHED: 27 January 1927

DECOMMISSIONED: 12 October 1968

DISPLACEMENT: 232 tons

PROPULSION: 2 x 6-cylinder, 300 hp engines

LENGTH: 125 feet

BEAM: 23 feet, 6 inches

DRAFT: 7 feet, 6 inches

COMPLEMENT: 3 officers, 17 men

ARMAMENT: 1 x 3"/27 (1927);
                         Depth charge racks; mousetraps (1943)


CLASS HISTORY

This class of vessels was one of the most useful and long- lasting in Coast Guard service with 16 cutters still in use in the 1960’s. The last to be decommissioned from active service was the Morris in 1970; the last in actual service was the Cuyahoga, which sank after an accidental collision in 1978. They were designed for trailing the "mother ships" along the outer line of patrol during Prohibition.  They were constructed at a cost of $63,173 each. They gained a reputation for durability that was only enhanced by their re-engining in the late 1930’s; their original 6-cylinder diesels were replaced by significantly more powerful 8-cylinder units that used the original engine beds and gave the vessels 3 additional knots.  All served in World War II, but two, the Jackson and Bedloe, were lost in a storm in 1944.  Ten were refitted as buoy tenders during the war and reverted to patrol work afterward.


CUTTER HISTORY

This vessel was built by the American Brown Boveri Electric Corporation and was launched on 27 January 1927 in Camden, New Jersey.  She was sponsored by Miss Harriet Hosmer.   The Cartigan was placed in commission on 8 March 1927.  She was originally stationed at Stapleton, New York, at Coast Guard Base Two, until she was transferred to Coast Guard Base Three in Norfolk, Virginia in January 1931.  Her first commanding officer was Boatswain Austin H. Troy, and he and his crew captured a rum-running schooner soon after her commissioning.

In September 1932 she was sent to Harbor Beach, Michigan and remained there for 10 years.  She conducted light icebreaking operations in the Connecticut River during 1943 and then served as a patrol and escort vessel along the eastern seaboard during the remainder of World War II.  She was in storage in Cleveland, Ohio, from 1946 to 1947 due to lack of personnel. She was at New York (1947-50); Galveston, Texas (1950-1953); and Panama City, Florida (1953-1968).  She was decommissioned a final time on 12 October 1968 and was sold 9 April 1969 to Nicholas Mitchell, of Brooklyn, New York, for $26,129.00.


COMMANDING OFFICERS

Boatswain Austin H. Troy, 1927-?

1960-1968:

LT J. P. Randle
LT W. R. Lipham
LT William R. Bell
LT Clarence C. Atkins


PHOTOGRAPHS: [Click on the thumb-nail image to see full-size photograph]

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

"Cartigan 1931."; photo by Coxswain Joseph Rokicki, Sr., USCG, printed by Weitzman Photo of Stapleton, New York; provided courtesy of Joseph Rokicki.

Some of Cartigan's crew standing behind a 6-pounder.  The photo was taken while Cartigan was at her St. George, Staten Island, berth.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

"Cartigan 1930."; photo by Coxswain Joseph Rokicki, Sr., USCG, printed by Weitzman Photo of Stapleton, New York; provided courtesy of Joseph Rokicki.

The Cartigan's engine room, circa 1930.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

USCGC Cartigan's crew; no caption/date/photo number; photo by Coxswain Joseph Rokicki, Sr., USCG, printed by Weitzman Photo of Stapleton, New York; provided courtesy of Joseph Rokicki.

This undated photo (probably circa 1930) was taken while Cartigan was at her St. George, Staten Island, berth.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

"U.S.C.G. Cartigan on Concrete Drydock"; 8 May 1944; no photo number; photographer unknown.

Note the mousetrap ASW launcher in firing position.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

No caption; 12 November 1959; Negative No. 8733; Photo No. 8CGD-112959-02; photo by Thornhill's Studio.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

"Cartigan"; 13 November 1959; Negative No. 8736; Photo No. 8CGD-112959-04; photo by Thornhill's Studio.

 

A photo of the cutter Cartigan

"(Left) USCG 82 ft. patrol boat; (Right) USCGC CARTIGAN (WSC-132)."; March, 1962; Photo No. 8CGD-032762-03; 8th CG District Public Information photo; photographer unknown.

The CG-82322 (later USCGC Point Hudson) on the left and the Cartigan at their berths at Panama City, Florida.


SOURCES:

Cutter History File, Coast Guard Historian's Office

Donald Canney.  U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.

U.S. Coast Guard.  Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933.  Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).


Last Modified 11/17/2014