The first cutter Campbell was named for George Washington Campbell, a native of Scotland, who served as a Secretary of the Treasury under President James Madison. He was born in 1769 and moved with his family to North Carolina in 1772. Campbell graduated from Princeton in 1794 and won election to Congress in 1802. He remained in Congress until 1809, serving as the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee during his last term. He was chosen as a senator for Tennessee in 1811, but resigned in 1814 upon being appointed as the Secretary of the Treasury in 1814 by President James Madison. He was the first cabinet member from a region west of the Appalachian Mountains. Campbell resigned after only eight months in office due to problems with raising finances for the war effort during the War of 1812, particularly after the British burned Washington. He returned to the Senate in 1815 and served until April 1818, when he was appointed Minister to Russia. He returned to the United States in July, 1820, and in 1831 was a member of the French Claims Commission. He died in Nashville, Tennessee, on 17 February 1848.
Builder: New York
Dates of Service: 1830 - 1834
Displacement: 60 tons
The cutter Campbell first appears in the records in August of 1830, when she was ordered to Norfolk, Virginia from New York, where she was apparently launched. On 10 September 1830 she was ordered to replace the cutter Dallas at New Bern, North Carolina but that order was revoked on September 24th. For the remainder of her career, she apparently served out of both Norfolk and Baltimore Maryland. Her centerboard was replaced by a standard keel at some point during her Revenue career.
She was sold in Baltimore in 1834.
Donald Canney. U.S. Coast Guard and Revenue Cutters, 1790-1935. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1995.
U.S. Coast Guard. Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).