USS Camp (DE-251)
Born 27 August 1916 in Jennings, La., Jack Hill Camp enlisted in the Naval Reserve 20 January 1941 and was appointed a naval aviator 29 December 1941. Attached to Patrol Squadron 44, Ensign Camp was killed in action 7 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway.
DE-251 Edsall Class Destroyer Escort
Displacement: 1,253 tons standard; 1,102 tons full load
Length: 306’ oa
Draft: 10' 5' full load
Machinery: 2-shaft Fairbanks Morse diesels, 6,000 bhp
Range: 10,800 nm at 12 knots
Top Speed: 21 knots
Armament: 3-3”/50; 2-40mm; 8-20mm; 3-21" torpedoes; 2 depth charge tracks; 8 depth charge projectors; 1 hedge hog
USS CAMP (DE-251) was launched 16 April 1943 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. O. H. Camp; commissioned 16 September 1943, Lieutenant Commander P. B. Mavor, USCG, in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet. After duty as school ship for precommissioning crews for other escort vessels, CAMP cleared Norfolk, Va., 14 December 1943, escorting a convoy bound for Casablanca with men and supplies for the operations in Italy. CAMP returned to Norfolk 24 January 1944 to begin a year and a half of convoy escort operations from New York to ports of the United Kingdom, guarding convoys whose ships brought troops and mountains of equipment and supplies for the buildup and support of the assault on the European continent.
Fighting the foul weather common in the North Atlantic, CAMP’s alertness against submarine attack and diligence were rewarded by no losses in any of the convoys she accompanied. A collision with a merchantman, in which one of CAMP's crew members was killed, required a repair period during which CAMP received a new bow and acquired 5" guns; otherwise her escort duty was uninterrupted until 19 June 1945. CAMP cleared Charleston, S.C., 9 July 1945 for the Pacific, and after serving as a training ship at Pearl Harbor, proceeded to Eniwetok for occupation duty. She supervised the evacuation of the Japanese garrison from Mili, then took on air-sea rescue duties off Kwajalein until 4 November, when she sailed for home, arriving at New York 10 December.
She was decommissioned 1 May 1946 and her Coast Guard crew was removed. She was reclassified DER-251 on 7 December 1965, CAMP was recommissioned 31 July l956 for duty as radar picket ship in the early warning system. She reported to Newport, R.I., 19 February 1957 and operated from that port to Argentia, Newfoundland, and into the North Atlantic through 1960. [In 1965, her large radar antennae was removed and CAMP was sent to Indo-China for coastal patrol and interdiction by the US Navy (Operation Market Time). She was transferred to South Vietnam on 6 February 1971. Renamed frigate TRAN HUNG DAO (HQ-01), the ship was stricken from the US Navy Register on 30 December 1975. Following the surrender of the South Vietnamese government on 29 April 1975, TRAN HUNG DAO escaped to the Philippines which acquired the ship later that year. Formally transferred on 5 April 1976, former TRAN HUNG DAO was commissioned into the Philippine Navy as frigate RAJAH LAKANDULA (PS-4). Deleted in 1988, she was retained and acted as a stationary headquarters ship as recently as 1995.
From the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, (1969) Vol. 2, pp.21-22