Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Caddo, 1943

WYP-174
ex-Tanginak; ex-Tyee Junior


Builder: Moran Company, Seattle, Washington

Length: 103'

Beam: 17' 7"

Draft: 11' 8"

Displacement: 372 tons

Cost: $35,000 (chartered)

Launched: 1907

Commissioned: 9 March 1943 (USCG)

Decommissioned: 16 March 1944

Disposition: Returned to owners

Machinery: Steam engine; 350 SHP; single propeller

Performance:

          Maximum Speed: N/A
          Economic/Cruising Speed: N/A

Complement: 10

Electronics: None

Armament: 1 x 20mm/80; 2 x small depth charge tracks


Cutter History:

Caddo, a former whaler launched originally in 1907, was chartered by the Coast Guard for patrol duties in Alaskan waters.  She was commissioned on 9 March 1943 and was assigned to the 13th Naval District and was based out of Ketchikan, where she carried out anti-submarine patrol and escort of convoy duties.

She was decommissioned on 16 March 1944 and was returned to her owners.


Sources:

Cutter History File.  USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.

U.S. Coast Guard.  Record of Movements: Vessels of the United States Coast Guard: 1790 - December 31, 1933.  Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1934; 1989 (reprint).


Last Modified 11/17/2014