Builder: ?; Morehead City, North Carolina
Displacement: 230 tons
Cost: $56,079 (acquisition); $86,698 (conversion)
Commissioned: 17 June 1943
Decommissioned: 24 August 1954
Machinery: 1 Atlas diesel; 300 BHP; single propeller
Performance & Endurance:
Max: 12.0 knots
Cruising: 10 knots, 3,240 mile range
Blackrock was the former fishing vessel The Boys that had been originally launched in 1924. She was a 230 ton, wooden-hulled vessel acquired for use as a tender. She was first commissioned in the Coast Guard as the Blackrock on 17 June 1943. She was assigned to the CAIRBSEAFRON and was stationed at San Juan, Puerto Rico, where she tended aids to navigation. She was decommissioned on 31 March 1944 for a time and re-entered service on 23 February 1945. This time she was assigned to the 7th Naval District and was based out of Portsmouth, Virginia.
She was decommissioned for the final time on 24 August 1954 and was sold on 2 November 1955.
Cutter History File. USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.
Robert Scheina. U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft of World War II. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1982.